Thursday, June 8, 2017

When life gets in the way of writing (#amwriting #frustration #inspiration)

Woman biting pencil

Last weekend I started working on a new book, a light-hearted, smutty story that’s set in the fictional world of my friend Larry Archer. Larry has a series of tales set in Las Vegas. These stories feature a common set of characters who hang out at a strip bar in Sin City called The Fox’s Den. His books are heavy on the sex and a bit light on plot, but their humor and “anything goes” attitude really appeal to me.

Larry and I have been talking about writing a story together. Unfortunately he’s a lot faster writer than I am! He finished the book (80K words!) before I could make much of a contribution. Meanwhile, I had new inspiration. I sat down to work on “Hot Brides in Vegas” on Sunday. In five hours, I wrote nearly five thousand words.

The thing is, I didn’t want to stop. The juices were flowing, the words were rolling, the ideas were tumbling onto the page—I hated to close Word and go make dinner. I was totally buzzed. Unfortunately, I have a real world responsibilities, including a rather demanding job. Well, I guess it’s not really unfortunate, since it does pay for my writing addiction. However, this week I have all sorts of tasks on my real life to-do list, including producing and submitting a research grant proposal. I’m desperate to get back to Las Vegas and my naughty wedding party, but so far I haven’t been able to steal any time at all for Lisabet to come out and play.

Okay, so I am writing this blog post. I could be working on the story, right? The trouble is, it’s tough for me to make any progress in less than an hour. I need to reread what I did in the last session. I need to warm up my linguistic muscles. It takes a while for me to get into the groove.

Anyway, I vacillate between excitement over my story ideas and frustration at not being able to do anything about them. I hope I can find some time tomorrow. Otherwise, I may just explode!

2 comments:

Larry Archer said...

Lisabet Las Vegas awaits your band of bride's maids and bride to be as they fall in the clutches of Sin City. One last fling as they sample the forbidden pleasures of the flesh before standing in front of the altar with a somewhat clear conscience. Forgive me father, for I have sinned and sinned and did I mention sinned.

I read the opening part of the story and loved it. I knew you had it in you.

Lisabet Sarai said...

Hi, Larry!

I've got another 5K written, but it's hard to find the time.

Also hard to make it filthy enough to satisfy you... you're my target audience LOL.

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts! (And if you're having trouble commenting, try enabling third-party cookies in your browser...)