Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Interrogating My Characters (@Luanna_Stewart #interview #inspiration #historical)


Interrogation graphic

By Luanna Stewart (Guest Blogger)

Thank you, Lisabet, for inviting me to visit with your readers.

I’m often asked, along with every author out there, where my story ideas come from. One method I use to learn about my characters is to ask them a series of pointed question. Sometimes getting answers is akin to wringing wine from grapes – it takes brute force and a certain amount of pressure. Other times I can’t shut them up! Miranda, heroine in If Wishes Were Earls, was an example of the latter. A veritable chatterbox. Here are a few of my questions and her answers.

Q: What do you do when you are bored?

M: I am seldom bored. There are always books to read, or letters to write, or household tasks to complete. When I do feel at a loose end I go for a walk well out of town. I can be gone for hours at a time.

Q: What was the most frightening experience of your life?

M: When Mama died, followed shortly by Papa’s withdrawal from life. I was only twelve years of age and felt truly alone in the world with an infant brother to care for. I had no idea how we’d survive and feared we’d all end up at the workhouse. Our housekeeper, Mrs. York, found me sobbing and assured me that there were other adults in the family taking charge until Papa got well.

Q: What are your favourite foods?

M: I lose my willpower around cakes and biscuits and other teatime treats.

Q: What is your first childhood memory?

M: Sitting on Mama’s lap playing with a doll made of a handkerchief. The face had been embroidered and she had hair of silk thread. I still have the doll though she’s lost most of her hair and the edges of her dress are rather frayed.

Q: What is your favourite time of day?

M: Early morning before anyone else is stirring. I’ll make a cup of tea and crawl back in bed to write in my journal. Or if the weather is fine I’ll creep out to the garden and read a book with only the birds for company. I find it impossible to sleep beyond six o’clock even in the darkest winter.

These are just a few of the questions I use to discover who my characters are deep down inside. I hope you’ll see some of this reflected in the story if you choose to read If Wishes Were Earls.

How would you answer one of these questions? Answer one in a comment and you could win some of my crafts: a hand-knitted (by me) washcloth and a bar of handcrafted soap. (USA and Canada only.)



A mysterious letter and an enchanted keepsake promise to lead Miranda to her heart's desire. Or does her heart secretly yearn for more than a sexy earl?

When a mysterious note directs Miss Miranda Large to a tiny village in Cornwall to find her heart's desire, she has no choice but to go. An enchanted keepsake heightens her curiosity. A snowstorm forces her to accept the hospitality of a sullen, albeit sexy and handsome, earl and Miranda's wish doesn't seem so out of reach.

Edward Penhallion, the 12th Earl of Claverlock, is not in the mood to start his search for a new wife. He wants to be left alone with his books and his dreams of revenge. But the arrival of a headstrong, sharp-tongued spinster forces him to play the charming host. Not a difficult task, given her intelligence and beauty. Suddenly, he’s not terribly eager for her to leave.

But as the snow falls and the winds blow, Edward discovers there’s more to Miranda than a lively wit and a lovely face. And Miranda wonders if the trappings of wealth are enough for true happiness.

Buy links:





About Luanna

Luanna Stewart has been creating adventures for her imaginary friends since childhood. As soon as she discovered her grandmother's stash of romance novels, all plots had to lead to a happily-ever-after.

Born and raised in Nova Scotia, Luanna now lives in Maine with her dear husband, two college boys, and two cats. When she's not torturing her heroes and heroines, she’s in her kitchen baking something delicious.

Writing under the pen name Grace Hood, she has two novellas published with The Wild Rose Press.


2 comments:

Luanna Stewart said...

Good morning! I've just finished digging out of the snow storm/Nor'easter/blizzard. Whatever it was, it dumped a pile of snow on us here in Maine. My kitty, Bruno, who likes to patrol our back garden is NOT amused!

Lisabet Sarai said...

Welcome to Beyond Romance, Luanna! I heard that the northeast got hammered. I used to live in Massachusetts, so I know what you're going through.

Thanks for being my guest and introducing us to Miranda.

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts! (And if you're having trouble commenting, try enabling third-party cookies in your browser...)