Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Confession: I Broke Writing Rule #1 and I’m Not Sorry

By N.N. Light (Guest Blogger)


I admit it, guilty as charged. My name is N. N. Light and I broke the first rule in writing: never ever write about yourself or real life in a novel. The truth is I am happy I did both and here is why. I was inspired to write Princess of the Light through a chance encounter.

I first got the idea for my book one chilly morning back in 2012. It was a cold wintry morning and I was walking to the grocery store. I happened to look across the street and what I saw made me stop in my tracks. A homeless man was sitting on a curb next to the gas station. He wasn't holding a sign or asking for money. His eyes were closed and his head was uplifted to the sky. There was such a contented and happy look in his weathered face. It took my breath away.

I wondered to myself how he got to be homeless and if there was some way I could help him. I continued on with my day but my thoughts were filled with him and his plight. Could I help him? Who is he?

As the days and months passed, I saw him every day. He kept to himself and never begged for money. He walked. Yes, he walked the length of the town. Every time I saw him, I nodded and said good morning. The simple act of kindness didn't seem like a big deal to me but to him, it was as if I had given him the sun. I started leaving food and clothing for him. The more kindness I showed, the happier he appeared.

I knew in my heart it was my calling to tell his story. He isn't some nameless face; he's someone's son, brother, grandson, uncle, father, husband, and/or friend. If I had the power, I would be his protector and free him from the darkness keeping him prisoner. He would no longer be the forgotten man.

I made a promise to myself to donate part of the proceeds to food banks if my book got published. I am keeping my promise and through my marketing, people are donating to food banks on their own.

My motto for my book and for my life is spread the Light. It doesn't matter to me what your spiritual beliefs are for everyone has the Light inside them. Spreading the Light comes in many forms but it starts with being kind.

I also wrote about myself. Gasp! I know you’re in shock and hoping I brought smelling salts. Stick with me for a moment and let me explain. The romantic story between Mary and Joe is simply based on my own love story.

I met MR N back in 2001. We actually met online in a Buffy the Vampire Slayer yahoo group and hit it off right away. We both adore Buffy and it was one of many things we had in common. We started out as friends but soon it blossomed into love. Through some uphill battles and insecurities on my part, I broke his heart not once but twice. It pains me to admit it but the second time I was truly cruel.

I thought it was over and I had moved on. I joined another Buffy yahoo group in 2003 and as fate would have it, MR N was there. He and I got to talking one night off-list. I asked for forgiveness and he granted it. We took it turtle-slow and before I knew what happened, I was in love with him. I mean, true love (the hills are alive with the sound of music) and my walls came tumbling down.

Long story short, I moved up north and married him in 2004. This past July, we celebrated our tenth wedding anniversary. Every day, I thank my lucky stars he forgave me and loves me unconditionally. This is my love story and every time I tell it (or MR N tells it), people swoon and say how utterly romantic it is. So I incorporated our love story into Princess of the Light
 



Blurb
Gabriel, the Archangel and Messenger of God - yeah that Gabriel - visited Mary Miller. He told her, as the key she is destined to spread the Light and vanquish the Darkness. Her first assignment is to restore the soul the Walking Man. Sounds simple enough until she’s thrown in the face of evil, and then Joe Deacons enters her heart. This battle just got a lot more complicated. She must complete her mission without losing all she loves.

Excerpt
 
Here is an excerpt from the scene where Mary and Joe meet:

The Information Counter sign was to the left just through the doors. No one was at the desk at the moment, but there was a woman wearing a red suit over by the periodicals. She looked a little over average height, but I noticed she was wearing heels. She had thick, long, dark red hair that encircled her face and flowed past her shoulders.

She was stunning.

I hoped she worked here not only so I had a reason to talk to her, but also so that I could get my books without having to do too much unnecessary leg work. That nap was still calling my name.

As I approached, I noticed that she barely wore any make-up at all. Her fair skin looked like it had been touched by the sun recently, too. She glanced up from the newspapers she was replacing from yesterday. She had incredibly animated brown eyes that had an unusual light that seemed to emanate from within. Her nose was small, her lips were full, and her skin looked so soft...

Can I help you with something, sir?” The woman’s voice quivered slightly and she leaned a little, as if she suddenly needed the wall for support.

Whoa, I couldn’t help but think. I frankly felt like a moth to the flame. All I wanted to do was have a reason to get closer to her. The fact that her eyes seemed to shine with an actual light didn’t help matters. I had never felt such an automatic attraction before, and I wanted to lean closer and see what was going on with her eyes.

She was either looking at me like I was the only man in the world--and quite possibly the sexiest one--or else my open gawking had freaked her out. Either way, I couldn’t have told her which it was, because my mouth felt like a cotton ball container.

Yes,” I managed to rasp to her. “Where is your Architecture section?”

Are you looking for anything in particular?” Yes. You, I wanted to say. “I could look to see if it is in stock.” Oh. Are there more of you somewhere?

The sound of her voice was starting to make my heart pound.

She had an earthly beauty about her. There was nothing extraordinary in her features, yet something about her just seemed to glow.

I felt my breath quicken. Joe, what’s the matter with you? Get a grip. You’ve seen girls before.

I shook my head to clear my thoughts without worrying what I looked like and said, “Please forgive my manners, but what is your name?”

Mary.” That just became my favorite name.

I’m very pleased to meet you,” I said as I extended my hand to her. “I’m Joseph. Please call me Joe.”

She hesitated for a moment before she shook my hand. Electricity bolted up my arm that I wasn’t prepared for. I wondered if she could hear my heart beating. Pretty sure these emotions weren’t winning me any bro-code points.

Her face was flushed and her eyes brightened with interest. Let go of her hand, Joe, I tried to coach myself. If I didn’t let go of soon, I might never be able to.

So I quickly let go of her hand but immediately regretted it. The whole room suddenly seemed cold and empty.

She probably thinks you’re some kind of wacko. Stop staring. You’re a logical guy... Be reasonable here. Besides, she’s probably married. I ran my fingers through my hair and tried to remember what we were just talking about. I looked up to see her glance towards the entrance. If she asked me to leave, I wouldn’t blame her.

I tried to act composed, while I glanced down at her left hand. I didn’t see a ring, so I cleared my throat and tried to act like a reasonable man again.

Well, it was a pleasure to meet you, Mary.” Even to me, my voice sounded unnaturally thick and hoarse. I cleared my throat and looked back at her.

Yes, it’s great to meet you, Joe. Let me show you where the section is.” She turned and simply pointed to the far left corner of the store.

Just when I thought she was through with me completely, she motioned for me to follow her.

As she led me to the back of the store, I tried to switch off my desire and concentrate on the task at hand. Focus, Joe! Decorum! The inner jokes weren’t helping. They just wanted to make me giggle like a schoolboy, and I doubted that would help matters much.

****

Sometimes breaking the rules is needed to tell a really great story. I hope you will see how weaving real life with fantasy makes for an irresistible book. More writers should rebel like me and add dashes of real life into their stories.


Buy Links (Available in E-book and Print):

Goodreads:

October Contest

Donate to your local food bank and win a $25 Amazon gift card. Take a selfie at the food bank and tweet it to me (http://www.twitter.com/NNP_W_Light ) using the hashtag #POTLContest.  I will also accept emailed entries (nnlight [at] outlook [dot] com).  Open to Worldwide Participants. Winner announced on November 1st and their pic will be spotlighted on the Princess of the Light website. Let’s feed those in need and spread the Light!!!

Newsletter
Sign up for my Princess of the Light newsletter to get exclusive content on all things book and writing related: http://ymlp.com/xghjsueygmgh

Author Bio
N. N. Light was born in Minnesota, lived in Southern California only to move to chilly Ontario, Canada to marry her beloved husband MR N. She is blissfully happy and loves all things chocolate, books, music, movies, art, sports and baking. Most of the time you can find her on Twitter or getting new ideas on how to spread the Light on Pinterest.

Part of the proceeds of Princess of the Light will go directly to food banks in order to feed the hungry and help those in need. With only 7,500 books sold, N. N. Light will be able to set up a monthly endowment for the local food bank.

I’d love to connect with you either via email or via these various social media sites:
 
Email: nnlight [at] outlook [dot] com

I wanted to thank Lisabet for having me on her blog today. You are so gracious and I am forever thankful!

Happy Reading!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much, Lisabet, for having me on your awesome blog today! :) MRS N

Lisabet Sarai said...

Thank you for being my guest at Beyond Romance. Your story is beautiful. I wish you great success in spreading the Light.

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts! (And if you're having trouble commenting, try enabling third-party cookies in your browser...)